Saturday, October 23, 2010

What's the Dif? (Vol. 4): Also, Too and As well

Recently I've been hearing people use as well as more and more, but it usually sounds weird when they use it. Personally, I don't use it much. Then Is Haryuni from Indonesia asked about the difference between also, too and as well. It took me a while to really puzzle through the differences, but I think I've finally got something. I challenge those of you who are not as lazy as I am to actually do some research and try to prove me wrong. But until you can, here's my answer.

All three of them are very similar to the coordinating conjunction and. They are used to put two pieces of equal information together, either in one sentence or two. However, their usage is different.

Also

This one is pretty easy. If you have a long statement connected by and* and you want to break it up into two shorter sentences, just change and to also. However, don't forget to change the comma to a period.
  • John goes to the gym every day after work, and he swims three days a week before work.
  • John goes to the gym every day after work. He also swims three days a week before work.
By dividing the information into two sentences with also, it makes each piece more important by giving each idea its own sentence. (Imagine the difference between two sisters sharing the same room or each having their own room.) You can put also before the subject he, but I think it is better between the subject and main verb.**

Too

Looking at the above example, you could replace also with too, but too always has to go at the end and you should put a comma in front.
  • John goes to the gym every day after work. He swims three days a week before work, too.
Grammatically it's correct, but I'm not a big fan. It seems very conversational and I like also much better. Generally when I use too, I am agreeing with a statement that someone else has made. For example:
  • A: I've been working out at the YMCA lately.
  • B: Really? I work out at the YMCA, too.
Too is used to agree with positive statements. In a sentence with a negative word like not or never, then you would use either.
  • A: I haven't had time to go to the gym recently.
  • B: I haven't been to the gym in a few weeks, either.
As a general rule, too is used in conversations and is a good response to show that you understand or agree with the other person. I don't recommend it in formal situations.

As well (as)

Just like too, you could finish the original example sentence with as well.
  • John goes to the gym every day after work. He swims three days a week before work as well.
There are two reasons to use as well in this situation, I think. First, it is more formal than also or too. Also, as well makes the second statement stronger. With also, the two things are equally important. With as well, going to the gym is good, and swimming three times a day is even better.

A second use of as well is if you are adding something new to a list. Again, it is more common in conversation than in writing. For example:
  • A: We are going to work on the project on Monday evening.
  • B: Since it's a very important project, why don't we plan to meet on Tuesday as well?
The second speaker is suggesting a second meeting to add to the first. If it's necessary to repeat the original information, then you would use the phrase as well as***, which is basically the same as and.
  • B: Why don't we plan to meet on Tuesday as well as Monday.
The most common misuse of as well (as) is when the speaker simply replaces and. For example:
  • A: How many brothers and sisters do you have?
  • B: I have one brother as well as two sisters.
I say this is wrong because (1) both the brother and the sisters are equally important and (2) both pieces of information are new. As well does work well in the following situation.
  • A: Do you have a dog?
  • B: Yes. We have a golden retriever. We have two cats as well.
Golden retriever answers the original question and then the speaker adds more information about cats, which was not a part of the original question. You could also use too, but and doesn't work. Compare it to this dialogue.
  • A: Do you have any pets?
  • B: Yes. We have a dog as well as two cats.
I don't like it and think this is wrong. I think and is much better because both dog and cats answer the original question and both pieces of information are new.

To summarize: And and also are almost identical except that and is a conjunction and also is an adverb. And is used inside one sentence and also is used at the beginning of a second sentence. Too and as well, on the other hand, emphasize the second piece of information over the first. Also, they are used to add a new piece of information to the original list.

I hope this helps and again, I invite you to do the research I haven't and prove me wrong. You do the work and I get the credit. Win-win for me!

==================================================================
*Remember that and has two uses. The first is like a plus sign (+), where you are putting two things together in a list. For example:
  • I have two children, a son and a daughter.
  • 1 son + 1 daughter = two children
The other use of and is to put two actions or events into chronological order (first, second, third). In this case, and means then.
  • I put on my hat and coat. Then I left my apartment.
  • First, I put on my hat and coat. Second, I left my apartment.
**If there is a helping verb before the main verb, then also goes between the helping verb and the main verb. Also, if the main verb is a form of the "be" verb, then also goes AFTER the "be" verb.
  • Rie is a beautiful dancer. She can also play the piano and sing.
  • Rie is a beautiful dancer. She is also an accomplished pianist and singer.
***Don't confuse this as well as with the other that means as good as.
  • I don't swim as well as my brother.
  • I am not as good as my brother in the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment