Friday, July 2, 2010

Welcome to Mr. K's Grammar World

It's time to kick off my second blog. The Grammar Geek Sez is more for native speakers. It really bothers me how little native speakers seem to respect their mother tongue. It's my chance to yell at them. Also, I can be more creative with my writing. It's more for me than for other people. Mr. K's Grammar World, however, is my favorite place to be. This is where I've spent most of my adult life. This is the blog for students who really want to learn to ask questions.

To most people, grammar is the most boring thing they have ever studied. "Who cares about grammar? I know how to speak."

But they are so wrong. Grammar is a game. Grammar is the key to all language. Grammar gives you freedom.

I don't mean just English grammar. I mean GRAMMAR. Every language has a grammar and all grammar comes from the same place. Every language has nouns and adjectives and adjectives always describe nouns. Every language has verbs and verb tense. Past is past in English, in Japanese, in French and in Swahili. How each language creates the past tense is different, but yesterday is the same wherever you go.

Do you want to learn English as a Second Language? Start with figuring out GRAMMAR. Do you want to learn Japanese or Chinese after you learn English. If you understand GRAMMAR, you can do it twice as fast.

And believe me when I say "Grammar is really not that difficult. You just have to figure out the rules and be logical." I am self-taught in grammar. I've spent the last 20 years in the jungle of adjective clauses and the passive voice. But I get it now and what I've figured out REALLY WORKS.

Have you ever heard a new band that is just so cool you can't wait to tell everyone about them. That's how I feel about grammar. I'm not trying to sell you anything. I just like talking about grammar with people who realize how important it is. And if I can teach you anything in the process, I'll be a happy man.

Ask questions. No question is too big or too small, too easy or too difficult. Bring 'em on. We'll figure it out together.

No comments:

Post a Comment